ERIKS is a worldwide leading industrial service provider offering a wide range of high-quality mechanical engineering components, such as silicone O-rings. In total ERIKS offers more than 50.000 O ring items. Besides silicone O-rings, we also offer NBR, Eco, butyl, HNBR, EPDM, Viton®, Aflas™ and Kalrez® O-rings.
Silicone O-rings rubber (VMQ)
Silicones are a group of elastomeric materials made of polymers containing silicium, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. Extreme temperature range and low temperature flexibility are characteristics of silicone compounds. As a group, silicones have poor tensile strength, tear resistance, and abrasion resistance. Therefore, ERIKS developed special compounds with exceptional heat and compression set resistance.
Application of silicone O-rings
Silicone compounds are very clean and are used in many food and medical and semiconductor applications, because they do not impart odor or taste.
Why silicone O-rings (VMQ)?
- Excellent resistance to extreme temperatures -50°C to + 232°C (-58°F to +450°F). Some special compounds resist even higher temperatures.
- Retention of properties of silicone at high temperature is superior to most other elastic materials.
- Resistant to hot air, ozone, UV radiation, engine and transmission oils (FVMQ), animal and vegetable fats and oils.
- Silicone can be compounded to be electrically resistant, conductive, or flame retardant.
Fluorosilicone O-rings (FVMQ)
Fluorosilicone O-rings combine the good high- and low-temperature properties of silicone with limited fuel and oil resistance. Fluorosilicone O-rings provide a much wider operational temperature range than Fluorocarbon rubbers.
Application of fluorosilicone O-rings
Because of its large temperature range, the fluorsilicone O-rings are primarily used in fuel systems, typically at a very low temperature applications.
Due to relatively low tear strength, high friction and limited abrasion resistance of these materials, they are generally recommended for static applications only. Fluorosilicones with high tear strength are however also available.
Why fluorosilicone O-rings (FVMQ)?
- Resistant to temperatures up to +220°C (+480°F), e.g. for fuel systems, and down to -73°C (-100°F).
- Combines the good high- and low-temperature properties of silicone with limited fuel and oil resistance.
- Fluorosilicones provide a much wider operational temperature range than Fluorocarbon rubbers.